Funny network performance problem

Author: Chris Gehlker
Subject: Funny network performance problem
> On Tuesday, October 21, 2003, at 01:03 AM, Emmanuel Gravel wrote:
>> Now, to start with, 2.8MB/s is better than what I'd get at 10Mb/s but
>> it's not quite as fast as I expected it to be. But the other side of
>> the
>> equation is pretty bad. Both cables between the computers and the
>> switch
>> are the same, they're fully molded, factory quality, I got them when I
>> purchased my first (10Mb/s) hub. Network cards are Kingston KNE100TX
>> on
>> the Windows system, and Intel EtherExpress 100's for the Linux system
>> (two, the Linux system is my firewall). Obviously all transfers of
>> those
>> sizes are done on the internal IP's only, and using an FTP client on
>> Windows (push/pull).
>>
>> Does anyone know how I could trace the issue and resolve it?

Have you tried just using a Linux FTP client? The discrepancy in speed
can't be explained by anything in the transport layer so I'd
hypothesize that the problem is a bug in the FTP program that makes
uploads (from the POV of the Windows machine) slow. Then I'd test my
hypothesis by trying a different client and running the transfer from
the other end.