the creature from the black lagoon.... or dealing with OS cr…

Author: der.hans
Subject: the creature from the black lagoon.... or dealing with OS creep
Am 14. Oct, 2003 schw=E4tzte Ren so:

> Well, I don't really need the latest of everything, it's just sometimes
> it seems that it's a domino effect when I want to install certain
> programs (nothing in particular at the moment, I just like to tinker).
> You brought up a good point about debian.. I'm currently running woody,
> perhaps I should try the testing distro instead..

I run testing in several places. It's generally pretty good.

I recommend trying to stick with stable and getting backports from sources
listed at apt-get.org, though.

If you find you need to build from source use unstable sources.

# apt-get --only-source build-dep <package>
# apt-get --only-source -b source <package>

The first line grabs the source dependencies for the package, the second
grabs the source package and automagically compiles and packages it for you=
=2E

There seem to be some bugs in this system, but it's still a good start.

The Gentoo source system seems to work more flawlessly. It has to be in goo=
shape since it's the primary install mechanism. Gentoo generally has the
latest and greatest, or so I'm told. I believe many of their packages come
straight out of CVS repositories for the respective projects.

I'm waiting for true P2P Gentoo where they get pre-CVS packages by snarfing
code changes directly off developer boxen before they're even checked in...
:)

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  "The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read an=
#  write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn." -- Alvin Toffl=
er