the creature from the black lagoon.... or dealing with OS cr…

Author: Deepak Saxena
Subject: the creature from the black lagoon.... or dealing with OS creep
On Oct 14 2003, at 11:07, Bart Garst was caught saying:
> Further more, if they can't provide a package for something as common as
> Mandrake, RedHat, or Debian, further suspicions as to the quality of
> their stuff arise.

The fact that somegroup of developers don't provide nice pre-built
package for "common" distributions is completely irrelevant in regards
to the quality. Some large projects such as Gmome, KDE, etc have
pre-built RPMs b/c a) they have a developer base of hundreds of people
and more importanlty b) they are funded. Not all open source projects
are well funded and being an open source developer I can tell you
that I am far more interested in writting code then making nice
packages to make other people's life easier. That's the reason that
distributions exist. If a package is not supported by someone's favorite
distro, they can always ask them/pay them/volunteer if having a pre-built
package is that important.

Developing software and productizing/packaging software are two
different beasts that should not be confused.

~Deepak

--
Deepak Saxena -

"To eliminate the concept of waste means to design things - products,
 packaging, and systems - from the very beggining on the understanding
 that waste does not exist" - William McDonough & Michael Braungart,
                 From Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things