less was my friend but I need MORE

Author: Scott H
Subject: less was my friend but I need MORE
I use "less" to read log files, but I have
noticed that on my RH7.3 mail server when a log
file starts getting up there in size (50M? 100M?
I'm not sure where it starts) I lose some
functionality. For instance, normally I hit
Shift-> to go to the bottom of the file, and then
use "?" to search upward for the last instance of
some string. But on larger files, Shift-> is
unable to take me to the bottom. It just sort of
stops, and when I hit Cntrl-C I get the message
"Cannot seek to end of file (Press Return)".
Pressing return just drops you back into the
pager, where you were. Trying a search from the
top for something you know is right near the
bottom also fails. So I've resorted to
workarounds using tail -4000 and grep and other
such silliness, but that doesn't give me
everything I need. I need to be able to hold the
whole file in my buffer and move around in it.
Can anyone recommend a good tool to be able to
view and search large files? Or tell me what I'm
doing wrong with less? Thanks!

Scott
.

=====
--

To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
      -- Theodore Roosevelt, 1918

.