Farewell to Fritz

Author: Alan Dayley
Subject: Farewell to Fritz
wrote:

> Might I ask what the heck this has to do with linux, computersm or technology
> in general?
>
> Some people (myself in particular) might agree with many of the Senators
> positions and the only possible outcome IMHO of sending this to the list is a
> flamewar.
>
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Victor Odhner wrote:
>

>>Here is an article giving, shall we say, a less
>>than favorable review of Sen. Hollings' career.
>>"Fritz Hollings is a walking advertisement for term limits."
>>
>><http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,99446,00.html>

These links may shed some light on some of the things Sen. Hollings has
supported that made many Free Software proponents upset with him.

http://www.eff.org/IP/SSSCA_CBDTPA/20020227_eff_pr.html
http://www.eff.org/effector/HTML/effect15.22.html#III

He was also instrumental in passing the DMCA which squashes research and
information publication of security technologies and their weaknesses.
He has been known as the "Disney Senator," helping to extend copyrights
beyond previous limits. Much of what he has done attempts to restrict
fair use and other consumer freedoms.

While you may agree with these stands or not, most of the Free Software
and Open Source Software "world" does not. For example, IF the CBDTPA
had been made law AND if the DRM technologies approved by the fed were
proprietary and required royalties, Free Software would have a hard time
operating in that environment. Thus, his retirement is tagentially "on
topic" for this forum, IMO.

Alan