Windows drive mapping conventions

Author: Craig White
Subject: Windows drive mapping conventions
On Sat, 2003-10-11 at 18:24, Chris Gehlker wrote:
> On Saturday, October 11, 2003, at 03:53 PM, Craig White wrote:
>
> > There are no hard and fast rules at all - there's only tradition and
> > even that is a bit iffy...
>
> Thanks for the reply, Craig.
>
> > If you are setting up samba as domain controller, you would likely want
> > the \\samba_server\netlogon as the default share, and logon scripts for
> > each user in the netlogon directory to make these directories and any
> > scripts execute when they log on but of course, this only works well
> > with WinNT Workstation, Win2K Professional & WinXP Professional
> > clients.
> > WinXP Home clients can't do domain logons and I'll not bother with
> > Win95/Win98/WinME domain logons which sorta/kinda work.
>
> I'll take your suggestion. These folks have 2 win 98 machines and 2 Win
> Me machines. The NT Server machine is set up as a domain controller so
> I think I'm stuck with that configuration..

-----
OK - really easy then...

in smb.conf
set workgroup name to domain name
set encrypt passwords = yes
set password server = BIOS_NAME_OF_PRIMARY_DOMAIN_CONTROLLER

set up shared directories as desired

restart samba

from command line...

smbpasswd -j NT_DOMAIN_NAME -r NT_PRIMARY_DOMAIN_CONTROLLER

This should allow the samba machine to create a trust account on the
Windows NT domain controller & thus, any computer/user/password combo
logged in to the domain will be able to access the files on the shared
directories within samba with the stipulation that an account exists on
the linux machine with their name (password will be verified by the
NT_DOMAIN_CONTROLLER)

If you want to accomplish all that without creating user accounts -
samba 2.27 and newer support winbind but that is another topic.

Craig