Windows drive mapping conventions

Author: Craig White
Subject: Windows drive mapping conventions
On Sat, 2003-10-11 at 15:07, Chris Gehlker wrote:
> I'm installing a nice Linux database server for some folks on hardware
> that is currently running an NT 4 file/print server. Naturally they
> want to keep their file and print services so I need Samba on the Linux
> machine. I've been messing with Samba at home and I think I've mastered
> it. It really seems to be very easy to set up.
>
> There is one thing that I simply can't remember from my brief sentence
> in the windows world and that is the convention for 'p' and 'm' drives.
> I remember that one is supposed to be mapped to the users home
> directory and the other is supposed to be mapped to a shared directory
> but I can't for the life of me remember which is which. I did Google
> for it but I found one reference that said 'p' is for public drive and
> 'm' is the other one while a different reference said 'p' is for
> private drive and m is the other one. I couldn't find anything from a
> source that could be considered authoritative. I guess this is just
> something that Windows users know.
>
> What is the real convention, if there is one? Can anyone satisfy my
> curiosity as to why it's 'p' and 'm'?

---
There are no hard and fast rules at all - there's only tradition and
even that is a bit iffy...

I generally use
f: for the main file server drive
h: for users home directories

l: m: n: o: p: for various networked volumes
q: for quickbooks where applicable

If you are setting up samba as domain controller, you would likely want
the \\samba_server\netlogon as the default share, and logon scripts for
each user in the netlogon directory to make these directories and any
scripts execute when they log on but of course, this only works well
with WinNT Workstation, Win2K Professional & WinXP Professional clients.
WinXP Home clients can't do domain logons and I'll not bother with
Win95/Win98/WinME domain logons which sorta/kinda work.

Craig