Windows drive mapping conventions

Author: Craig White
Subject: Windows drive mapping conventions
On Sat, 2003-10-11 at 18:32, Chris Gehlker wrote:
> On Saturday, October 11, 2003, at 03:36 PM, Bryce C wrote:
>

> > Way back when, before my life was completely rid of windows file
> > sharing, it was P that was the shared drive and H was the home
> > directory. There was also a U drive that had all the users but only
> > "you" could access "your" directory but that was with w2k and AD.
>
> Thanks Bryce. I really like H for home. I'm leaning toward s for
> shared. I'm not sure I understand the purpose of the U drive. I'm also
> thinking of putting a Pubic directory in everyone's home directory and
> a Drop Box directory inside the public one. I's that overkill?

-----
The users home directory would likely be set up by policy but it is only
writable by the logged in user so putting a public directory within a
home directory is non-sensical.

Drop box directory inside a public directory makes sense.

Many hardware manufacturers use the R: & S: drives for CD, CD-R, DVD
drives so while it might sound good, it may require 're-assigning' the
letter of the drive on some machines.

Craig