Will Linux OS workd without a Hard Disk

Author: Ed Skinner
Subject: Will Linux OS workd without a Hard Disk
On Thursday 09 October 2003 10:36, Alan Dayley wrote:
> Papacostantinou, Phillip wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am designing an embeded computer product, using a Pentium-M process=

or
> > board
> > with a Flash Disk (for holding the runtime Image and loading it into =

the
> > Processor Memory).
>
> Very nice.
>
> > The operating system (kernel) will be Linux.
> > I do not have a hard disk (or any other storage device) as part of th=

is
> > system ie no storage device to write to.
> >
> > I have been told that Linux will not be able to wok without a File
> > System, ie without a hard disk.
> >
> > Is anyone aware or able to comment with certainty on this subject ??
>
> Well, Linux needs a files system but it can use romfs for these
> situations. It is done all the time.
>
> > Would the Linux Operating System be able to be configured to run with=

out
> > a hard disk or any file system ?
> > =09If NO, Is there a way of tricking Linux to think that a File Syste=

> > is present, but rather in memory ?
>
> Google for romfs. Also, look around on linuxdevices.com for more
> information on embedding Linux in this type of hardware. Also, an
> EXTREMELY good resource for this question is the plug-devel list. Post
> this same email there and experts will answer. There are members there
> that do this sort of thing all the time.
>
> > I thank you in anticipation.
>
> You are welcome.
>
> Alan

     A small RAM fs is sometimes needed for transient things. Regardless,=
 as=20
Alan points out, Linux runs just fine without a hard disk. (Shameless plu=
g:=20
http://www.rytetyme.com/ is my company and "embedded Linux without a disk=
" is=20
what we do most of the time.)
     You might also want to get a copy of "Building Embedded Linux System=
s" by=20
Yaghmour (O'Reilly is the publisher) in these regards. It is A#1 excellen=
t.

--=20
Ed Skinner, , http://www.flat5.net/