Will Linux OS workd without a Hard Disk

Author: Alan Dayley
New-Topics: determining disk hog
Subject: Will Linux OS workd without a Hard Disk
Papacostantinou, Phillip wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am designing an embeded computer product, using a Pentium-M processor
> board
> with a Flash Disk (for holding the runtime Image and loading it into the
> Processor Memory).

Very nice.

> The operating system (kernel) will be Linux.
> I do not have a hard disk (or any other storage device) as part of this
> system ie no storage device to write to.
>
> I have been told that Linux will not be able to wok without a File System,
> ie without a hard disk.
>
> Is anyone aware or able to comment with certainty on this subject ??

Well, Linux needs a files system but it can use romfs for these
situations. It is done all the time.

> Would the Linux Operating System be able to be configured to run without a
> hard disk or any file system ?
>     If NO, Is there a way of tricking Linux to think that a File System
> is present, but rather in memory ?

Google for romfs. Also, look around on linuxdevices.com for more
information on embedding Linux in this type of hardware. Also, an
EXTREMELY good resource for this question is the plug-devel list. Post
this same email there and experts will answer. There are members there
that do this sort of thing all the time.

> I thank you in anticipation.

You are welcome.

Alan