the future of RHL

Author: der.hans
Subject: the future of RHL
Am 24. Sep, 2003 schw=E4tzte Bowie J. Poag so:

> How many people/organizations do you know of that have purchased one of t=

he
> following?
> > 1. Consulting
> > 2. Support
> > 3. Enterprise Sales
> > 4. Bundle Deals (Like Dell Offerring on their PCs)
>
> I can name like 20 people who forked have forked over $40-70 a pop for bo=

xed
> versions of Red Hat, since they don't have broadband, or access to a burn=

er.
> I don't know of a single place or person who has purchased
> consulting/support/etc.

I know of several companies who have purchased RHEL. Often they have
multiple versions. As Derek pointed out, the math indicates that they bring
more income selling RHEL :).

Note also that a contract for services with IBM is probably more lucritive
than all the boxed sets sold at Borders.

I also know that Red Hat has made money providing Free Software consulting
services. Several people in .az.us were on their payroll for that type of
thing. At least 2 were laid off, but I believe we still have several others
here in town.

I am not a fan of Red Hat's distribution, but I am definitely a fan of the
company and their stance towards using Free Software and contributing to th=
Free Software community.

I'm not certain what they're indicating at this point. Some stuff I read
makes it seem like they're moving towards a stronger community maintained
model of distribution for their consumer distro, similar to how debian and
Gentoo work. Not a bad model.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we
#  are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic
#  and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
#  -- Theodore Roosevelt, 1918