Getting hammered by spam virus :-(

Author: Jeffrey Pyne
Subject: Getting hammered by spam virus :-(
On Monday, September 22, 2003 8:55 AM, Don Calfa wrote:

> How do you get 300 e-mails a day that is spam? I seriously never get
> spam except for 4 a day with my bigfoot address and any
> adversitements are from businesses that I purchae goods from.

I never used to get spam either. Then, out of the blue in August, I started
getting 10 - 15 Spam messages a day sent to my @cox.net email address. The
odd thing is that I NEVER use that address directly (I have messages sent to
one of my personal domains forwarded there). When we first signed up with
Cox, we created several email accounts (including one for our cats) but
never used most of them. I checked one of them the other day, and it gets
the same Spam as my main Cox account. Interestingly, the Spam messages I
get are CC:ed to 10 or 20 other cox.net addresses that are alphabetically
similar to mine. Makes me wonder whether Cox is selling the email addresses
of their users.

~Jeff