InstallFest decisions

Author: der.hans
Subject: InstallFest decisions
Am 12. Sep, 2003 schw=E4tzte so:

> I have not used synaptic much. Kpackage is much prettier. If anyone debia=

n is
> going to be the distro of choice then someone should remaster a Knoppix d=

isk
> in full
> unstable so that the issue is not pressent. If someone is setting up a se=

rver
> or what for then they would probaly not want all the bagage that comes wi=

th
> knoppix so they would want to use a bare bones debian install disk.
>
> Debian unstabe is fine for (IMHO) for anything other than a server. Unsta=

ble
> just means somewhat new version. Gnome on stable is ugly/slow while unsta=

ble
> is faster (IMHO) and much prettier.

I think testing and unstable are inappropriate for an InstallFest ( there
will be some exceptions as we get people who are computer literate, but jus=
have problems getting GNU/Linux up and running ).

There are rumors that GNOME 2.4 will be backported to woody.

Generally, I think it would be fine to use backports.

If sarge is truly frozen before the InstallFest and getting ready for
release, then I would review my opinion about using testing.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  The Internet is the front line of the battle
#  to protect our freedom. -- Nathaniel Borenstein