Need recommendation on floppy substitute

Author: der.hans
Subject: Need recommendation on floppy substitute
Am 12. Sep, 2003 schw=E4tzte George Toft so:

> I'm looking to create a NMP (No Moving Parts) firewall based on LEAF.
> To accomplish this, I need something to replace the floppy drive, or an
> alternate boot device. This something needs to be mountable/unmountable
> like a floppy.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.

As Bryce and Chris suggested you can go with a USB device. I think booting
from USB is still a hard to find feature, though.

There are IDE->CF adapters out there. A couple of links were posted on the
list sometime in the last year.

You'd have to make a mechanism to 'eject' the card, but that should work
fine if you can run from RAM and unmount the device.

There might also be a way to physically remove the 'write' pin.

If you have a SCSI->CF ( hallo Alan :) you might be able to physically make
the device read-only.

You could add a second CF card that is writable for logs.

I'm certain you thought of network booting, but it doesn't work for what yo=
want. Might work for the rest of us, though :).

Hmmm, LTSP firewall farm... ;-)

Hmmm, using a 200MHz processor as an LTSP server and have it be useful :).

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  "Communications without intelligence is noise;
#  Intelligence without communications is irrelevant."
#  Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC