InstallFest decisions

Author: der.hans
Subject: InstallFest decisions
Am 11. Sep, 2003 schw=E4tzte Derek Neighbors so:

> I don't think it implies that at all. I think it implies that we are
> trying to help institute some semblance of a standard. The more I deal
> with suits and getting them to adopt GNU/Linux. Sadly their number one
> gripe is there is too much choice. We see choice as good. They see

Yes, for most people lots of choice isn't necessarily that great. It's
better that we have a somewhat unified setup for the general population.

It will still be wildly customizable, but we can have a unified entry point
for them.

> choice as bad. I am not suggesting we eliminate choice. I am merely
> suggesting for those folks who want "cookie cutter" we offer them that
> and foster an environment that helps them live in that world.

A key is to make sure that their cookie cutter world doesn't encroach upon
our choice and that we have channels for them to graduate and move on to
being able to change things if they want.

> The point is we are doing the install, so the EXPERT part of Debian is
> taken care of. I think that makes a WORLD of difference.

Since we're doing the installs the greater concern should be their
post-install experiences.

> Part of me says this is an up hill fight with too broad of a group.
> Perhaps AZOTO should be tackling this as they have a forum in which it
> would be easier to make the decision and they would benefit the most
> from such a move in their aid helping people adopt GNU/Linux.

AZOTO will be tackling this issue :).

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  "Science is like sex: sometimes something useful comes out, but
#  that is not the reason we are doing it." -- Richard Feynman