press release proposal

Author: Ted Gould
Subject: press release proposal
--=-XgSr0Qht1tI4HuEYEQwD

Hey,

Thanks for doing this Hans, I think it's important. I have a couple
small comments (they look long, but it's mostly me rambling :).

On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 01:47, der.hans wrote:
> On Saturday, October 25, from 10:00 to 16:00, PLUG invites public and
> press to attend a no cost Linux InstallFest at the University of Advancin=

> Technology, <UAT addy>. This is an opportunity for computers users to
> receive expert help in installing GNU/Linux, a freely available operating
> system, on their personal computer or macintosh.

I think perhaps we should also focus on learning about Linux in the
opening paragraph. Something like:

This is an opportunity for people who are currently unfamiliar with
Linux to learn more about it, and if they choose, install it on their
own computer (PC or Mac) with the help of experienced Linux users.

Atleast at the last install fest, it seemed like alot of people were
coming to 'see what this Linux thing is'. I think that we should
encourage that.

> There will also be no cost presentations on Free Software and how to use =

it
> effectively for work or home.

It would be nice if we could put a short list of things that will be
talked about here. I don't think it has to be comprehensive.

I think a paragraph promoting Linux would be good. Here seems like a
good place, but anywhere would be fine.

Linux continues to receive impressive adoption among governments and
Fortune 500 companies alike. It has become a critical part of any IT
professional's toolbox. Many adoptors site usability, applications, and
total cost of ownership as reasons for adopting Linux. After loosing
several contracts Microsoft is now considering Linux one of it's top
compeditors in the desktop market.

> Linux is the core of a free operating system that includes software from
> projects such as GNU, GNOME and KDE. It can be installed as the lone
> operating system or alongside another operating system on the computer.

I don't know if I'd put this paragraph in. It is true, but there isn't
enough space to really expain what KDE and GNOME are, and I think it
would confuse people who don't understand.

> "The GNU/Linux system is a stable, secure operating system that isn't
> susceptable to email, web or document viruses.", said der.hans, CEO of AZ=

OTO
> (Arizona Open Technologies Organization). "AZOTO is proud to help user
> groups promote the use of Free Software.", he continued.
>=20
> Come see Knoppix, a GNU/Linux distribution that runs right from CD withou=

> using the hard drive.

I think you should add a little bit about what this means. Something
like: which means that someone can try out Linux without effecting their
current computer's settings.

> There will also be demos of the Linux Terminal Server Project (LTSP) whic=

> can provide 20 fast workstations for under $2000, OpenOffice.org's office
> suite and the GIMP drawing program.

I think I'd do the "and a whole lot more" thing here.

> These tools are all Free Software, guaranteeing people and companies the
> right to use the software as they wish. Free Software can be freely copie=

d,
> modified and examined. Computer experts consider these freedoms essential
> to computer security and believe they provide more robust systems than
> proprietary software vendors.
>=20
> Attendees wishing to have GNU/Linux installed on their computers need onl=

> bring their computer, monitor, keyboard and mouse. Those who connect to t=

he
> Internet using a dial-up modem should bring the modem as well.

I think you can put the printers in here. Probably something like: "And
any other device that someone would like configured to work with Linux".

        --Ted

--=-XgSr0Qht1tI4HuEYEQwD

--=-XgSr0Qht1tI4HuEYEQwD--