domain names, web standards, etc

Author: Derek Neighbors
Subject: domain names, web standards, etc

|2. Web develpment. I have yet to see a popular, and what most
| folks would consider "nice" site that meets w3c standards.
| Plug any of them into http://validator.w3.org/ and watch
| it throw up all over your screen. Is it possible to meet
| and pass the validator, yet keep the marketing dept. happy?

http://www.gnu.org checks out as HTML3.2 compliant.
http://www.debian.org checks out as HTML4.01 compliant.
http://www.redhat.com checks out as HTML4.01 compliant.

These are just 3 I checked off the top of my head. All of them do
very large volumes of traffic and serve up a LOT of data, more than
most company websites. Mostly it's a matter of priority not
complexity. The above organizations are very committed to standards
and so they make sure they prove it in how they act. Most companies
could care less and are lazy so they just do what works and throw
standards out the doors. It is certainly possible to make web pages
that are usable (and nice looking) as well as functional that pass the
validator.

- -Derek