domain names, web standards, etc

Author: Mike Starke
Subject: domain names, web standards, etc
On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 10:45:13PM -0700, Derek Neighbors wrote:
/_
/_|2. Web develpment. I have yet to see a popular, and what most
/_| folks would consider "nice" site that meets w3c standards.
/_| Plug any of them into http://validator.w3.org/ and watch
/_| it throw up all over your screen. Is it possible to meet
/_| and pass the validator, yet keep the marketing dept. happy?
/_|
/_
/_http://www.gnu.org checks out as HTML3.2 compliant.
/_http://www.debian.org checks out as HTML4.01 compliant.
/_http://www.redhat.com checks out as HTML4.01 compliant.
/_
/_These are just 3 I checked off the top of my head. All of them do
/_very large volumes of traffic and serve up a LOT of data, more than
/_most company websites. Mostly it's a matter of priority not
/_complexity. The above organizations are very committed to standards
/_and so they make sure they prove it in how they act. Most companies
/_could care less and are lazy so they just do what works and throw
/_standards out the doors. It is certainly possible to make web pages
/_that are usable (and nice looking) as well as functional that pass the
/_validator.

After looking at redhat's site, I must admit you have convinced me
it is certainly possible.

-mike