OT: Win NT Password Cracking Program

Author: shadow
Subject: OT: Win NT Password Cracking Program
George Gambill wrote:
> I have access to an NT (4.0 I think) with a program we would like to
> salvage. Due to company changes, personnel changes an it's having
> been in moth balls, no one remembers the (administrative) password.
> This computer used to have a single SCSI drive with two partitions.
> The SCSI is now a slave drive waiting for me to figure out how to
> retrieve the password. The master drive is a 2 partition IDE with
> dual boot Linux and Win 2000. At least the Linux partition moves the
> project into the gray area for this list.
>
> Google came up with something called "LOphtCrack 4.0". Too expensive
> for this project. I am hoping someone on the list knows of better
> way.

Version 1.5 of L0phtCrack is still available and is still free as in
beer. It's not as fast as 4.0, but it should get the password within a
few days with a 2GHz+ machine.

The v1.5 source for Win32/Unix is available on @stake's download page.
Alternatively, you could do a google seach for the precompiled Win32
binaries (lc15exe.zip) originally released by L0pht Heavy Industries.

The Security and Cryptography Laboratory (LASEC) in Switzerland had an
online fast NT password cracker that could crack alphanumeric passwords
in less that 13 seconds. Unfortunately the demo has been taken down and
no sourcecode released.

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/07/23/1240259&mode=nested&tid=126&tid=172&tid=185&tid=190&tid=201&tid=93

--
Chris Lewis

If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up it is perfect.
       - Linus Torvalds