Processor Speed

Author: Dennis Kibbe
Subject: Processor Speed
On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 06:17, devin rankin wrote:
> Several people have already pointed you to the Bios and the front side
> bus as your problem. If this was one of the advertised Fry's specials,
> there may be one other issue. Fry's likes to pair an older motherboard
> with a newer processor to clear out the old stock. In some cases, the
> motherboard will not run the processor at full speed because nothing as
> fast as that processor was out there when the motherboard was made.
> This can often be fixed by downloading the latest Bios and re-flashing
> the Bios on the motherboard.
>
> Good Luck.if you have
>
> Devin

This is a good opportunity to plug a couple of my favorite online
sources of hardware.

1. www.mwave.com has always done right by me and usually has the lowest
prices.

2. www.newegg.com has lots of big, pretty pictures and the hardware
reviews can point out the best products and any gotchas.

3. www.directron.com is interesting for color components, silent fans &
power supplies, as well as good tutorials on such as connecting the
front USB ports.

Most of them will ship to AZ in 2-3 days for minimum shipping.

of course, you won't have a helpful Fry's Associate to ask if you need
help, but. . . <g>

Dennis