DLT Tape can not Restore

Author: der.hans
Subject: DLT Tape can not Restore
Am 13. Aug, 2003 schw=E4tzte Jim so:

> "tar -tf /dev/nst0" finally worked results below, altough I still can
> not restore from the tape. Also what is wierd is that I do some
> commands like tar and cpio and then I start getting I/O error messages I
> wait a while sometimes only minutes usually longer and then the commands
> work sucsessfully. Is the problem that the tape is still working on
> completeing one command and now I just gave it another but it is not
> done with the first?

It sounds like there's still something wrong with your SCSI environment.

I think you said you fixed a termination error to get this far.

Can you change cables?

If you don't have a spare let me know what you need on either end and I can
probably loan you a cable.

> Well below is a sucsessful "tar -tf /dev/nst0" with the results the only
> problem is that I did not know the syntax that cpio wanted when I was
> restoring for device name/filename and then it finally brought up an I/O
> when I typed in just the device name.
>

> Do I need to rewind the tape before I can restore from it?

When using /dev/nst0 you need to rewind. I know it seems like more work, bu=
it has been my experience that you're better off using the non-rewind devic=
and having to rewind by hand.

mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
mt -f /dev/nst0 status
mt -f /dev/nst0 tell
mt -f /dev/nst0 fsf
mt -f /dev/nst0 status
mt -f /dev/nst0 tell

If you've got a backup on the tape that second tell should give you a
non-zero number.

When doing a status you're generally only concerned with the last line
that's all in capital letters.

mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
tar cf /dev/nst0 /etc
mt -f /dev/nst0 tell
mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
tar tf /dev/nst0 | tee /tmp/tape.toc
mt -f /dev/nst0 tell

Both of those tells should report the same place. You should get a file
listing for /etc in /tmp/tape.toc.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  Your email is being read by hundreds of uptight agents
#  who never saw the humor in Dr. Strangelove. -- Mark Russell