Advice

Author: Austin Godber
Subject: Advice
Rob Wultsch wrote:
> Knoppix comes with a lot of software, and a lot of saftware will easily
> install with apt. However it really was not designed to be installed on
> a hard drive and acts that way if try expand it greatly.
>
> I used to love knoppix for installing debian, but now I can not
> reccomend it any longer for people that will install many programs
> outside of the what was already installed (which addittedly is most
> everything that most people need).
>
> Knoppix makes apt lots of fun if you will want to install programs with
> many dependencies. (i.e. gnome) It is a mistake for the developers to
> have made it a mixed distro. It should be either stable, or unstable,
> but making it a mixture of the two just invites problems for those that
> choose to install it.

Hey Rob,
    What specifically have you seen fail?  I would like to try and force a
package install to fail for me.  Every install I have done so far has
worked out pretty nicely, but I am concerned a bit about the mixed
nature of the knoppix install.  On workstations (I use 3 different
Knoppix workstations), I typically do a distupgrade to unstable right
after I install.  I may have run into a package or two that I couldn't
install, but I imagine that is the nature of using unstable or testing.,
and I think those that failed eventually succeded a few days later.

    I also run a few servers off of a knoppix install of testing and would
like to keep them relatively stable.

Austin