dependency hell

Author: Trent Shipley
Subject: dependency hell
I was going to do some development using Sybase. The good news is that you
can download their developer edition gratis. It seems to be for Red Hat.
Too bad I'm running SuSE 8.1

The dependencies are:

Need                 Have
kernel 2.4.7-10      2.4.19
glibc 2.2.4-13       2.2.5-184
rpm 4.0.3-1.03       3.0.6
XFree86 4.1.0-3      4.2.0-176

So I rpm the core package for Sybase 12.5 and it immediately complains that it
needs kernel 2.4.7 or higher! (??) I visit to fsf.org shows that the current
stable linux kernel is 2.4.22 or so. Presumably 2.4.19 > 2.4.7 and should
work.

Well, it Sybase says its RPM needs rpm-4.0.3 or better, maybe that's it.

Time to start looking. Nope. SuSE didn't bundle rpm 4.0.x with 8.1. In
fact, searching at SuSE seems to indicate SuSE ain't using rpm-4.0.x nohow.
SuSE *likes* rpm-3.0.x. Vigorous Goole searching turns up an rpm for
rpm-4.0.x at rpm.org. Naturally, rpm.org only seems to deliver code in rpms.
I can't find a tarball.

Good, lets download it. More dependencies (argh!). Now I need:

#shadow-utils   is needed by rpm-4.0.3-7x
    SuSE *never* uses shadow-utils, they call their functional equivalent
'shadow'.  Notes on the web do *not* bode well for installing shadow-utils on
a SuSE system.

#popt = 1.6.3 is needed by rpm-4.0.3-7x
#libpopt.so.0 is needed by rpm-4.0.3-7x

SuSE isn't using popt-1.6.3 yet so I go get popt-1.7 and install it from the
tarball. It creates /usr/local/lib/libpopt.so.0 as a sym-link to
libpopt.so.000. Rpm-4.0.3-7x still can't find it. I tell Yast to remove the
old version of popt, damn the dependencies. Some SuSE dependent programs
that need popt can no longer find it. It hasn't helped, the Rpm-4.0.3 still
can't find popt-1.6.3 or higher.

#patch < 2.5 conflicts with rpm-4.0.3-7x

I don't know what this means, but I bet it's looking for something peculiar to
RedHat.

Help sought, comiseration accepted.