knx-hdinstall

Author: Austin Godber
Subject: knx-hdinstall
Rob Wultsch wrote:
> How hard would it be to master a disk with an experimental kernel? Or
> for that matter replace kde with gnome?

Its really not too tough ... check the howto's at:

http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixRemasteringHowto
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixCustomKernelHowto

I have not tried the custom kernel yet, but it is probably just an extension of
the remastering. And for replacing packages ... once you are set up to remaster
it is as easy as removing KDE and installing GNOME in debian ... you just use
apt, then configuring . Its quite nice.

Actually there is rumor that I will give a presentation on remastering knoppix
CDs. I recall that there was at one time mention of branding Knoppix CDs.
Perhaps I can whip some stuff up related to this. Oh, branding presumably just
means changing the images to be what you want right? Perhaps we should have
some branded Knoppix for the wednesday thing ... if someone does the graphics, I
am set up to do the remastering. I will start a new thread for that.

One last thing ... remastering takes a bit of HD space and some RAM and SWAP.
Some howtos require a GB of free memory (RAM+SWAP) but there are others that get
around this somehow ... I had a free GB so I didn't have to worry.

Good luck

Austin