getting X to work under ssh

Author: Lynn David Newton
Subject: getting X to work under ssh
This is more of a general Unix question than Linux
specific, although one of the three systems involved is
a Linux system. The other two are FreeBSD.

The question: Now do I get my X environment to carry
over when using ssh so that I can run X clients back
across the net?

Details:

o I'm working on a Linux system from home. I have two
FreeBSD boxen that are work servers.

o When I ssh to one, $DISPLAY is set to something like
localhost:15.0. I don't know how that gets set, but
it works such that when I run an X client, it shows
up on my tube. It seems to change between logins. At
the moment it's set to localhost:18.0.

o When I ssh to the other server, $DISPLAY is unset,
and X clients do not work.

o I know about ssh -X host to enable X connection
forwarding. Calling it that way doesn't help.

No dissertation on the subtleties of Xauthentication et
al is required. Just a simple whaddoido to make it work
would be sufficient, if you have some clue what factor
I might be overlooking. Local expertise (which is
considerable) has been exhausted.

Thanks.

--
Lynn David Newton