getting X to work under ssh

Author: Lynn David Newton
Subject: getting X to work under ssh
Bill> Each sshd you connect to has to be configured
Bill> to allow connection forwarding. There's usually
Bill> a line in the sshd config about this. From the
Bill> sound of your description, a couple of the
Bill> hosts you're connecting to aren't configured in
Bill> this manner.

I can check that. Meanwhile, I think I have found a
significant clue ... I don't think X11 is even built on
the one system. There is a directory /usr/X11R6/bin,
but all it has in it is a few build tools like imake.
There are probably underlying libraries that haven't
even been built.

I'm not going to pursue it further. The system in
question, which has been a workhorse for the past 10
months or so, will be abandoned before long in favor of
the one that does allow connections.

No further responses necessary.

Thanks.

Bill> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Lynn David Newton wrote:

>> This is more of a general Unix question than Linux
>> specific, although one of the three systems involved is
>> a Linux system. The other two are FreeBSD.
>>
>> The question: Now do I get my X environment to carry
>> over when using ssh so that I can run X clients back
>> across the net?
>>
>> Details:
>>
>> o I'm working on a Linux system from home. I have two
>> FreeBSD boxen that are work servers.
>>
>> o When I ssh to one, $DISPLAY is set to something like
>> localhost:15.0. I don't know how that gets set, but
>> it works such that when I run an X client, it shows
>> up on my tube. It seems to change between logins. At
>> the moment it's set to localhost:18.0.
>>
>> o When I ssh to the other server, $DISPLAY is unset,
>> and X clients do not work.
>>
>> o I know about ssh -X host to enable X connection
>> forwarding. Calling it that way doesn't help.
>>
>> No dissertation on the subtleties of Xauthentication et
>> al is required. Just a simple whaddoido to make it work
>> would be sufficient, if you have some clue what factor
>> I might be overlooking. Local expertise (which is
>> considerable) has been exhausted.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> Lynn David Newton
>> Phoenix, AZ
Bill> To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change you mail settings: