Reverse Telnet

Author: David Mandala
Subject: Reverse Telnet
Ah, thats what he wants to do. Yes of course you can do that. Once you
are logged in to your Linux system just run minicom and attach to the
modem. Unless minicom is already configured you'll want to run it as
root the first time. You also may need to configure your serial ports to
allow their use by non-root users. Generally speaking there are two ways
to accomplish that. You can chmod the port permissions to something like
666 or you can add people to the group that controls the com ports. On
my system that is the uucp group. On my system since I didn't feel like
adding everyone to the uucp group I chose to do:

]# chmod 666 /dev/ttyS[01]
]# minicom -s

Once you have configured minicom once then you can run it as yourself.

]$ minicom

The normal modem devices on an x86 style box are /dev/ttyS0 and
/dev/ttyS1. At one place I worked we had a specialty communications card
which had 128 serial ports which we had connected to modems for dial in.
We kept a few for dial out and we routinely used minicom to
interactively configure the modems.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Davidm