Using 486 PCI Slots

Author: Tom Achtenberg
Subject: Using 486 PCI Slots
Can't speak to the 486's as I just donated my last one to the AZ Strut program. My e-Smith is running on a 333 Celeron with 2 10/100 Hawking Technology PCI NICS in it. These are what I bought for $9.90 each at Fry's and is the same brand as my hub. So far it is running on my Qwest VDSL system with no problems. All my internal network machines are accessing the internet fine. I can access email from 4 different email servers using the standard ports. I downloaded some RPM's from a RH mirror at Michigan State University yesterday using FTP and had a rate between 925 and 975 KB/sec reported so it doesn't look like anything has slowed down. A day after I turned on the e-Smith I checked the ZoneAlarm on my internal machines and the logs only showed the "keep alive" pings from my NT server after e-Smith went up. This allowed me to remove all the individual firewalls too.