Using 486 PCI Slots

Author: Craig White
Subject: Using 486 PCI Slots
Steven Martindale wrote:

> At 06:22 AM 12/31/01 -0700, you wrote:
> >Tom Achtenberg wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm very happy with my e-smith. Only problem I see you maybe having is the
> >> old 3com cards. e-smith and all the others I checked out required PCI
> cards.
> >> I bought a couple of cheap $10 ones at Fry's and it is working fine.
> >>
> >----
> >don't recall any 486's having PCI slots but my memory has this habit of
> >failing me at odd moments.
>
> Looks like three PCI slots. In fact the video card is in one of them.
>
> Which raises a question. I may well just simply try it since the cards are
> so cheap. It seems all the PCI USB cards say you need a pentium or better,
> but then again they say you need Windows 98 or newer as well and linux was
> perfectly happy spotting the USB card in my celeron box. Anyone know if
> those USB cards really need a pentium, or are the manufacturers just
> figuring "Well, 98 won't run well on a 486 anyway..."

----
Actually...

Only rev B of Win95 supported USB and the implementation was less than
ideal and no one really wants to support USB on Windows 95 at this
point.

Also - a celeron is a Pentium with reduced cache - a sort of crippleware
which allowed them to be competivite in the marketplace with the
K6-2/Duron without creaming their profitable Pentium II/III/IV product
line profits.

Craig