Re: Good Cheap PC to play MP3s and MP4 video? (Was: OT Mac M…

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Good Cheap PC to play MP3s and MP4 video? (Was: OT Mac Mini obsolescent?)
I'd recommend even android devices as media renderers.

I bought an nvidia shield for my birthday, and I rather like it as a media
player. It shows up as a renderer for upnp/dlna/chromecast, and is the
best kodi player out there (which can add airplay and other rendering).

As another option, at our office, I installed a few android sony tv's
around our office that do mostly the same things, though no one really
seems to utilize the features or know they're there. They can be a
chromecast receiver, miracast receiver, or generic dlna I've found by
default, plus run most any android app. Even their bluetooth beacons as an
asset which I found interesting! I rather want one of the 85" ones I put
in personally, I grinned manically watching kodi launch on that 85" the
first time.

The android 48" was pretty decent, like $800 bucks (4k/60hz, nice display,
it's sony), and the 85" same specs I ended up working out a deal to get one
for around $4500 bucks (seen $3500 refurb). Much below the $9k retail
price on the bugger, so deals can be worked even as a business expense.

Both my Shield and those tv's at work have been pretty cool so far. The
Shield does also does google assistant (if you like the creepy always-on
mic wired-to-government sort of thing), and recently made it a samsung
smartthings automation hub with a usb dongle addition. I can install or
sideload pretty much whatever, but lots of android apps don't like
tablet-modes it seems to use.

-mb