Re: Warranty!!?!?!?!?!

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Warranty!!?!?!?!?!
I do run a lot of VM's, almost always at least a windoze vm for visio and
crappy conferencing software, sometimes playing with firewall or other
network appliances, sometimes linux monitoring system appliances I've
built, etc. That and I tend to run a lot of tabs, so 16gb of ram usually
just isn't enough from my last system. I just moved to 128gb of ram in my
desktop as 32gb I'd depelete quick too.

I certain didn't need a 1tb ssd, but the cost difference was marginal
enough I said screw it. My last few laptops and desktops with 512gb of ssd
is just fine for me.

I've tried the approach of running a vmware cluster at home for that
purpose with far more resources to run VM's in, but end of the day, the
heat/power wasn't worth it vs. just adding some ram and running what I
needed between my desktop and laptop. Plus vmware management is shite
anymore related to vcenter/esx, so for my needs, virtualbox is just fine.

Another big reason for the ram is chrom[e|ium] is a fsck'ing pig still.
With my deskop usage, between chrome and vm's, it's not uncommon to run
around 50-60gb of ram all the time. I got tired of hitting EOM's and weird
lag across the board as memory usage would fluctuate greatly in desktop use.

-mb

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 12:26 PM, <> wrote:

> [...]
> that allows me to run PHP 5.6 for older code and PHP 7 for newer code,
> while running Ubuntu 16.04lts. Both versions of PHP on the same VPS.
>
> Given that a baseline laptop with decent graphics, 8G RAM, and a 128G SSD
> should be enough.
>
> Unless one is running many local virtual machines, doing some serious
> video or image work, or doing lots of compiling... I am think the cloud
> and thin client hardware is the way to go.
>
> Your thoughts?
>

> On 2017-09-06 10:42, Michael Butash wrote:
>
> Yup, the precision 3000/5000 is almost a direct clone of the xps13/15,
> just with different graphics (geforce vs. quadro), wifi (atheros vs.
> intel), and proc (xeon options). Nothing else really different I could
> tell other than price. I went with the xps as consumer coupons go higher
> than precision discounts.
>
> I usually just shop bensbargains.com or dealnews, wait for a dell outlet
> refurb coupon to go 35-40% around a holiday, and score a laptop then for
> some steep savings. I got this xps15 loaded with the 4k display, nvidia
> gpu, 32gb ram, 1tb ssd for $1950 out the door. Worst part of buying from
> dell is sales tax. :(
>
> -mb
>
> On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 9:23 AM, Stephen Partington <>
> wrote:
>
>> I have been seeing Ubuntu offered on their precision mobile
>> workstations...
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 8:41 AM, Carruth, Rusty <>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Actually, comparing the Alienware that I bought vs a very similar one at
>>> System 76:
>>>

>>> Alienware: 16G RAM, 4K display, 1T rotating drive, 128G SSD, I7-7700:
>>> List $2066, paid $1536
>>>
>>> System76:  16G RAM, 1080P,         2T rotating drive, 512G SSD, I7-7700:
>>> list under $1500.

>>> So, double the rotator size, 4x the SSD size, and remove the 4K display
>>> – and save around $500. I'd say 76 isn't bad, price-wise. The primary
>>> reason I got the alien was because of the 4K and similar price (I did a
>>> side-by-side comparison at the store. 4K really is better, and when I got
>>> home and booted Linux on it – whoa!). (Don't know which video card they
>>> each had – I'm not going to be doing gaming (much?) so don't care that
>>> much... I think)
>>>

>>> Unfortunately, live booting the Mint 17.3 DVD resulted in no Ethernet or
>>> WiFi. I'm downloading 18.2 now to see if that's better, as a google search
>>> seems to imply it is. But the display! Oh, my goodness!
>>>

>>> Oh, by the way – the alienware has only ONE 'standard' disk slot, but 3,
>>> yes THREE M.2 slots – one very short, the other 2 full-length. And only 2
>>> RAM slots. Which is too bad – my Lenovo for work (17" also) has 2 standard
>>> slots and 2 M.2 slots (and 4 RAM slots) – I mean, its not like they don't
>>> have ROOM, for goodness sake! But then, the Lenovo was almost $3000. Of
>>> course, it had a 1TB SSD as well as 16G of ram and the TOP video card...

>>> that." sort of comments ignorant agents might spew, but otherwise shouldn't