Re: IPcop hardware questions

Author: Chris Gehlker
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: IPcop hardware questions
On Dec 27, 2004, at 8:12 AM, Siri Amrit Kaur wrote:

> We're not doing anything complicated. Our office has a website it's
> developing
> that will be interactive (forums for our tenants/customers), but no
> real need
> (that I know of) for double layer of NAT except my boss wants to keep
> it.

Well the plans for a future web server certainly explain the need for a
static IP. May I suggest that the machine with the web server be placed
between the Linksys and the IPCop. That way the ports that you will
have to open in the Linksys to serve your website can be closed again
at the IPCop machine. Maybe you were planning that all along.

>> As the discussion has proceeded, it sounds like IPCop is doing NAT
>> behind a Linksys that is also doing NAT and that neither has any open
>> ports. If this is correct, I don't see the point. Can someone outline
>> scenario where a second level of NAT provides meaningful additional
>> protection?
>
> I'd be curious to know this, too.

I took a *brief* look at the IPCop FAQ and discovered that it does NAT.
It may also do port forwarding and and some packet sniffing. I'll have
to check it out. It could well be that it has the capability to provide
a level of protection to your web server, in which case turn the advice
above around. Put the IPCop next to the cable modem and the web server
behind it. Then put the Linksys behind the IPCop and the rest of your
computers behind the Linksys.
--
We can put television in its proper light by supposing that Gutenberg's
great invention had been directed at printing only comic books.