Re: open office vs. ms word

Author: Vaughn Treude
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: open office vs. ms word
> Trent Shipley wrote:
> >>
> >>NO
> >
> >I have when working with my resumes (see web site below).
> >
> >I convert html to O.o 1.1 Writer format. A little work to tidy things up,
> > but no unexpected problem.
> >
> >Then I try to save to the latest available Word format. No go; it LOOSES
> > data in the header and there are minor format changes (spacing between
> > paragraphs, bullet shapes and so on).
> >
> >I fall back to creating an RTF file from the Writer format. This _sort
> > of_ works. Again there are minor format annoyances. More minor
> > annoyances are converted when going from RTF to Word. Unfortunately,
> > tidying up the resulting Word document with O.o is a touchy business.
> > The result is NOT how I wanted my resume to look, but in the interest of
> > sanity I let it be.
>
> Interesting. I never had any issues with O.o at all when i was running
> windows. I would like to say I would look into it further myself, but
> fortunate for me I am no longer running windows. I have been trying to
> do this for a long time, now I am not going back! ;)
> Now if I could just play Nascar 2003 on Linux I would be happy, but
> seeing that I am not a gamer I will survive.

I have also had minor formatting issues on OOo, but I usually don't save to
anything but Word format, unless the document is strictly internal. Luckily
I have access to a MS machine so I can double check it.

By the way, my nephew had to do a Power Point presentation for school, and
they couldn't afford to buy MS Office. I installed OOo for them and he did
it in Impress and saved it in PP format, no problems at all.

Vaughn