how best to convert a pdf to a high-res jpg?

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Tue Jan 22 15:42:31 MST 2008

.
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 13:30, Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote
> On Jan 22, 2008 1:02 PM, Josef Lowder <joe at actionline.com> wrote:
> > What is the best and most efficient way to convert a high-res
> > 2.5-meg pdf to a high-res jpg without losing (too much) image quality?
> >
> > I tried the 'convert' utility, but the result is poor quality.
> > Perhaps there are convert utility options that that might yield
> > a better result, but I don't know what they are or how to use them.
>
> Did you try the -quality option?  PDFs are compressed, so converting
> to a large JPG will expand the size.  Worst case scenario, print it
> out, and scan it back in JPG format with xsane :-P

Thanks Kristian ...

Both of these sound like potentially feasible solutions.

But as a result of your suggestion, I checked man convert
and then googled the 'net but have not been able to find a
syntax example for the use of the -quality option. I tried these:

convert -quality filename.pdf filename.jpg
convert: invalid argument for option `filename.pdf': -quality.

convert filename.pdf -quality filename.jpg
convert: option requires an argument `-quality'

Also, I looked on my system for 'xsane' but did not find that.
So, please forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure how to proceed.