acquiring digital music

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Thu Oct 6 12:38:03 MST 2005

Am 06. Oct, 2005 schwätzte Josh Coffman so:

>    I make a reasonable effort to be license compliant.
> When I was windows only, buying and buring music
> online wasn't a problem. Other than the stupid
> limitations that it. Now that I'm mostly linux at
> home, what do I do? I like to burn my own audio or mp3
> cd's. Can someone offer some suggestions about
> acquiring music usable & burnable under linux?

I acquire my music the old-fashioned way: I buy disks. Generally CDs at
this point, but I did buy a bunch of albums the other day :).

Content imprisoned by DRM will not suffice for me.

Go to all of mp3, http://www.allofmp3.com/, as Jeremy and Don suggested.

Go to Magnatune, http://www.magnatune.com/info/why, as Dennis suggested.

Look at the Creative Commons, http://www.CreativeCommons.org/.

Look at boycott-riaa,  http://www.boycott-riaa.com/artists, and other
similar sites.

Buy directly from artists that aren't working with the RIAA.

www.AimeeMann.com -> (WARNING! flash-based) she got screwed when she was on a label with the RIAA and has done much better since she dropped the RIAA

wwww.TravelerMusic.com -> excellent local band

If you're downloading try to get flac. The same quality as WAV and half
the bandwidth. From flac you can easily make ogg, mp3 or wav, depending on
what you need at the time. No DRM.

The RIAA wants the consumers who fund the industry to prove they are
worthy of being customers of the industry. The RIAA wants control over how
people can use music they purchase. Do you want to give up your right to
listen to your music? Do you want to have to prove your loyalty to the
RIAA?

I generally no longer buy music that comes from the RIAA. I have an
advantage over most americans since there's plenty of good German rock out
there for me to listen to :). I also already had a large CD collection
before I realized what the RIAA is up to.

On a similar note of freedom, please use freedb.org as your CDDB source.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we