Seeking thoughts on a linux bluetooth project

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Sat Oct 1 22:46:42 MST 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-01 at 00:45 -0700, John McGuire wrote:
> An idea occurred to me on the road a few weeks ago, and I haven’t had
> much luck finding specifics on the web, so I thought I’d see if anyone
> here has come across a similar project. It involves connecting a
> laptop to a cell phone through Bluetooth, then calling a second cell
> phone that is connected to desktop system (either through Bluetooth or
> a cable, doesn’t matter), with the final goal being to allow the
> laptop to make use of the desktops internet connection. The reason a
> pair of cell phones are used is that they would be on a family plan
> with no minute usage.

Well, I would see no reason that it wouldn't work -- but it will be
slow.  I set up my cell phone to work over a USB line as a modem, and it
gets 9600 baud.  Which, is enough to download your e-mail, but still
pretty painful.  That being said, there is many times where having that
was quite a life saver.

		--Ted