more ICQ woes

Carl Parrish plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 15:48:55 -0500

Lynn,
Have you tried the Mozilla Chat tool? the version in Netscape works great with ICQ, though there is no history (yet) which I need and *can* be a show stopper.

Carl P.
From: Lynn David Newton <lynn.newton@cox.net>
Date: 2002/11/12 Tue PM 02:49:11 EST
To: Phoenix Linux Users Group <plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us>
Subject: more ICQ woes

One reason I "upgraded" my operating system to RH 8.0
was that I was hoping to get out of the deal an updated
ICQ client that actually works. Over the last couple of
weeks I've experienced intermittent message outages
from GnomeICU, and it's caused no little annoyance in
my work.

The first thing I learned upon trying ICQ under RH 8.0
is that GnomeICU no longer works *AT ALL*. Hmmmph. Off
to find a new client. (It's gotta be ICQ, not something
else, because that's what we've standardized on where I
work. This is not for fun and games and wasting my idle
hours away talking until 3:00 AM about NASCAR racing or
whatever.)

(Excuse my cynical tone, but the last couple of days
have undermined my love for Red Hat considerably.)

So some kind subscriber to this list suggested I try
"everybuddy". Found it, built it from source, installed
it, it comes up. I set it up, it looks like it may be
working ... I start trading messages with a colleague.
Then he drops out of sight, as though he's not getting
anything from me. Not good. More time wasted going "Tap
tap tap ... is this thing on?" You know the routine.

Then my boss sends me this note that came up in his
Trillian client:

    This user appears to be using an older Mirabilis
    ICQ client, which depends on an outdated version of
    the ICQ protocol. As such, you *may* experience
    intermittent message loss. Encourage them to
    upgrade to Trillian or a newer build of ICQ! (You
    can e-mail them, or call them... )

Well that's just great. Back to square one.

As far as I know, Trillian (which is a pretty neat
tool) is available only for Windows.

So I'll ask this question once again: Does anyone
within this esteemed group of wizards know of an ICQ
client for Linux that actually works?

--
Lynn David Newton
Phoenix, AZ