ICQ problem may be solved

Lynn David Newton plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 23:32:11 -0700

After three people recommended GAIM, the default IM
tool, I finally listened and tried it. It seems to be
working.

It's funny how I just looked right through that one. I
saw that it was a clone of AIM, and never realized that
it also did ICQ. Duhh.

My quest was not driven by a need for particular GUI
front end. The problem is, as I learned only recently,
becuase I've been using instant messaging only the past
month, they (whoever "they" are) changed the protocol
and the clients I was using were still using the old
version. The result was intermittent failure in the
transmission of messages. Apparently I could get things
all right (all my associates are using Trillian on
Windows), but my replies would often disappear into the
ether.

Not acceptable.

It's premature to pass final judgment, but this time
it's looking good.

There are only three people I have to communicate with.
Personally, I hate instant messaging for the most part.
I hate telephones, too, and won't answer one if I can
find an excuse not to. They are the rudest devices ever
invented, because they will ring at any moment and
demand your attention. I dislike instant messaging for
the same reason. But I'm obliged to use it.

Thanks to those who contributed suggestions, even the
useless ones. :-)

--
Lynn David Newton
Phoenix, AZ