Apache, SSL recent updates

Bill Jonas plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 12:29:08 -0500

--n8BV0TfTmv8nl9Pc

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 04:28:27PM -0000, Miles Beck wrote:
> When doing apt-get to update apache and ssl because of some recently
> fixed security issues will the present configurtaion files for apache
> be overwritten when I upgrade and do the install?

No.  dpkg handles config files intelligently.  (Keep in mind that
apt-get is just a front-end for dpkg.)  If the package maintainer's
version of the config file hasn't changed since the last time a package
was installed, nothing is done.  If the packaged config file *has*
changed, the config file on the system will be replaced if *it* hasn't
been changed.  Otherwise, if you've modified the config file and the
package maintainer's version has changed, it will ask you if you want to
replace your config file with a newer version, giving you options of
yes, no, give me a diff of the old and new config files, and give me a
shell and let me work things out myself (IIRC).  If you say yes, your
existing config file is saved as filename.cfg.dpkg-old and the new one
is installed as filename.cfg.  If you say no, don't replace it,
filename.cfg is left as-is and the maintainer's version is installed as
filename.cfg.dpkg-new.

> Whats the best way to make sure your configuration of apache still works =
after
> doing an update. Or is that not an issue?

Well, the updated version should just be a drop-in replacement, since
fixes are backported to the Debian version rather than the stable
version being updated with a newer version of a package.  If you want to
test, though, I'd do things like check http and https, any virtualhosts
you've defined, run CGI scripts (especially those in non-standard (i.e.,
not /usr/lib/cgi-bin) places), etc.  That sort of thing.  Think about
what your site(s) do(es), and simply try to access that functionality.

--=20
"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin

--n8BV0TfTmv8nl9Pc

--n8BV0TfTmv8nl9Pc--