Apache, SSL recent updates

Tony Wasson plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 11:15:07 -0700

> When doing apt-get to update apache and ssl because of some recently fixed
> security issues will the present configurtaion files for apache be
overwritten
> when I upgrade and do the install?
>
> Whats the best way to make sure your configuration of apache still works
after
> doing an update. Or is that not an issue?

Backups. Also, beware of apt-get if you are using unstable or testing
sources. They are called unstable for a reason -- sometimes the config file
will change. As long as you run and stay with stable or security, I have
never had a problem with an overwritten or incompatible config.

If you'd like to test apt-get (to see what will happen) you can use the -s
flag, like so:
apt-get update (to get the current list of packages)
apt-get -s install apache (to test what installing the new apache will do)

>From the apt-get man page (for -s)

       -s
       --simulate
       --just-print
       --dry-run
       --recon
       --no-act

              No  action;  perform  a  simulation  of events that
              would occur but do not actually change the  system.
              Configuration Item: APT::Get::Simulate.

              Simulate prints out a series of lines each one rep­
              resenting  a  dpkg  operation,  Configure   (Conf),
              Remove (Remv), Unpack (Inst). Square brackets indi­
              cate broken packages with and empty set  of  square
              brackets  meaning breaks that are of no consequence
              (rare).