System Flakyness

Tom Bradford plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 04 Jul 2001 17:46:52 -0700

Kevin Brown wrote:

> the flaky machine is running 98, but I have Linux (RH6.2) on my P150.  I guess I
> could try to make a linux boot floppy to run a program like that from.  You
> wouldn't happen to have code to do that would you?

Actually, the program I wrote was in Delphi under Windows...  You could
also just as easily write a quick Java program to do it.

public class MemTest {
      java.util.List lst = new java.util.ArrayList();
      for ( ;; )
         lst.add(new Object());
   }
}

Compile it

javac MemTest.java

and start it with the following command line:

java -Xms16m -Xmx256m MemTest

You'll want to set -Xmx256m to some value that is greater than or equal
to your system RAM to be sure that the VM doesn't crap out on you.

--
Tom Bradford --- The dbXML Project --- http://www.dbxml.org/
We store your XML data a hell of a lot better than /dev/null