System Flakyness

Rusty Carruth plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 06:14:00 -0700 (MST)

> Kevin Brown wrote:
> > OK, not totally linux related, but hoping someone might have some suggestions.
> > I have an Athlon 650 running Win98SE (yeah I know, boo, hiss), but I use it for
> > games and such that don't exist for linux (Everquest).  My system has been
> > acting up (Blue Screen of Death, etc...) and since these behaviors seem to have
> > become a common occurance (well more often than usual) in recent months I'm
> > beginning to suspect hardware trouble.  I was wondering if anyone knew of a
> > utility (windows, dos or linux) that could do things like test my systems memory
> > for errors to see if that is the culprit.

I had a situation like this with my laptop a couple of years ago (running
98, mainly) - I went from one reboot (due to lockup) a week to 1 per day
- at which point I decided to switch to linux as my primary OS for the
laptop (rather than my secondary one).

That was over 2 years ago, and I've not had but maybe 1 hard lockup since
then (caused by doing something stupid ;-)

Yeah, I know, its not much help, but what I'm trying to say is -

Don't assume its always hardware.  (Even though it COULD be)

rc