SpeedChoice broadband

Craig White CraigWhite@AzApple.com
Fri, 12 May 2000 19:46:34 -0700

----
I disagree - tell them you have a PC and they will bring you a NIC
(Realtek) - hey, you're paying for it either way.

The salespeople are entirely clueless about the product that they are
selling.
Rules of thumb in dealing with Speedchoice/Sprint Broadband

1. Tell them 1 computer - 1 ip address
   As soon as you mention 2 computers, they will double the charge for
   their lan service. At least cox allows multiple computers/ip at a
   reasonable cost, but Sprint doesn't.

2. You will not get DNS support from them - use www.mydns.com or other if
   you intend on running your own mail server (acceptable to them) www or
   ftp server or other server (unacceptable to them)

3. They don't do port checks to see if you're running servers.

4. Their installers much prefer macs - they change the settings
   on the fly and it works - no reboot necessary. Actually, they
   really don't care and they always setup and test with their
   own laptop. They are perfectly comfortable with walking out
   the door without it being hooked to any computer as long as
   you are willing to sign the work order as being complete.
   Take the NIC - kick them out the door.

5. Be very thoughtful about implementing a firewall. They will
   put you on a common subnet with 120 other users which permits
   some cover for unsavory port scanning. Not nearly as bad as
   @home but definitely not policed by Sprint.

6. They now use Earthlink's mail system so you don't have to
   run your own mail server - you even get a couple of mailboxes.

I know this because I have about 8 customers using Sprint Broadband on my
suggestion.

Craig