Teergrube (was RE: Cron Errors)

D. Taylor dtaylor@www.dssolutions.com
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 10:24:49 -0700 (MST)

Like most software, the teergrube is configurable.  Basically,
you designate IP addresses as "known spammers" or "my buddies".
Any other IP address is "default."  You then invent your own
rules like:

Class            Teergrube Delay (seconds)
My Buddies       0
Known Spammers   Infinity + 1
Default          30

Of course, you could configure "Default" as 15s, 30s, 60s, 90s,
300s, or apparently in JLF's case, 4,500s.  I was using 30 seconds
as an example of how a "reasonable" person might configure his
teergrube.  ;)  It appears that the BOFH factor is +4,470 seconds.

On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Craig White wrote:

> Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 22:51:51 -0700
> From: Craig White <CraigWhite@AzApple.com>
> To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
> Subject: RE: Cron Errors
>
> I understand the teergrube now...I followed the link.
>
> I also know that it took 1:18 & 1:17 to send jlf 2 very short e-mails (I
> checked the logs...6 hours was an exageration). It wasn't however a 30
> second wait.
>
> I even understand how it 'legally' discourages spam and I suppose that I'm
> glad that jlf is so adament about employing the method. It seems to me that
> the cure is as bad as the problem...but hey, it's my choice not to employ it
> I guess.
>
> I see hacking as a far more serious problem and I know now that these
> distro's are lobbing up softballs for hackers to use your computer as a
> place to park their tools and hack at other computers if they can't find
> stuff of value on your network.
>
> I can only imagine how bad the insanely great stuff that eminates from
> Redmond is getting whacked by 'crackers' - I see how many probes are being
> sent for Netbios responses. I see why we are talking about setting up
> laptops with linux - awesome portable security checker / network
> troubleshooter.
>
> Craig

> - Craig White - PO Box 8634 - Scottsdale, Arizona - 85252
> - e-mail address ................ - CraigWhite@AzApple.com
> - world wide web address ........ - http://www.AzApple.com
> - e-mail my pager address ....... - 6023779752@airtouch.net
> - cellular phone ................ - (602) 377-9752
> - voice/facsimile ............... - (480) 945-8445
[snip]