Teergrube (was RE: Cron Errors)

J.L.Francois jlf@magusnet.gilbert.az.us
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 17:22:22 -0700

It seems like on Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 10:24:49AM -0700, D. Taylor scribbled:
Orig Msg> Of course, you could configure "Default" as 15s, 30s, 60s, 90s,
Orig Msg> 300s, or apparently in JLF's case, 4,500s.  I was using 30 seconds
Orig Msg> as an example of how a "reasonable" person might configure his
Orig Msg> teergrube.  ;)  It appears that the BOFH factor is +4,470 seconds.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> D
Orig Msg>

Actually I use a 3600 second delay.

Thisk of it this way.
You can configure Sendmail to hold email in queue for the
same amount of time to scan it for viruses and SPAM.
Instead I hold it off so that I don't have to accept delivery and waste
diskspace and bandwidth of my MTA or the sending MTA.

Now if 2 SPAMS coming in back to back I can catch the first
one, update my filters, and autobounce the remainder before
delivery in sendmail with a 550 error.

Take a look at RFC 821 Appendix E for details on why
a Teergrube works without being a bad Internet neighbor.

Jean Francois Sends...
President & CEO MagusNet, Inc.
MagusNet.com, MagusNet.Gilbert.AZ.US
CTO EBIZ Enterprises, Inc.
TheLinuxStore.com, TheLinuxLab.com, LinuxWired.net
480-778-1120 - Office
602-770-JLF1 - Cellular