[PLUG-Devel] surprising results in Google Analytics

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Mar 12 08:01:24 MST 2010

On Fri, 2010-03-12 at 02:16 -0700, Michael J. Ryan wrote:
> If the site in question is a technology site or a linux site, and by nature of
> posting here, I would think it well could be... the results will be skewed a
> bit.  I really wish Google, ms, and yahoo would all publish their web stats.
> Would be a much better benchmark for who's using what...  Also, less than 500
> visits isn't a broad enough sample to even break the margin of error here.
----
very much NOT technology web site

yes, less than 500 visits isn't broad enough to broach any margins of
error but it is all that I have in 8 days (which I think is actually
doing pretty good considering that 81% of my traffic is from Google
searches) and the web site hasn't been online for a month yet. FWIW,
according to GA, I crossed the 500 visits threshold yesterday.

What I have seen is that web stats vary greatly depending upon who is
doing the data collection and my thinking is that so far, my results are
tracking pretty much in line with w3schools.com which definitely shows
that IE (all versions) is very much on the decline.

Also, I'm gathering that there was a fair amount of pent-up demand for a
smart phone alternative to AT&T/iPhone and the Android has apparently
been the one to fill the void (not the Palm Pre and definitely not
Blackberry).

so yeah, the stats probably don't mean much but they were surprising to
me and gives me good hope for things Linux and various open source
alternatives (FF, Safari, Android).

Craig

believed to be clean.