[PLUG-Devel] ruby on rails

Derek Neighbors derek at gnue.org
Fri Jan 19 15:21:53 MST 2007

Josh,

On Jan 19, 2007, at 2:52 PM, Josh Coffman wrote:

>     There was a Ruby on Rails article in my RSS feeds this morning.
> I ended up on the RoR site and checking out a couple screencasts
> (http://www.rubyonrails.org/screencasts). I have to say I was very
> impressed with the flickr integration example. Is it pretty common
> to be
> as productive or is that just a really slick example?

You can do wickedly cool things in Rails with little effort.  It does
a good job of staying out of your way enough to let you be productive.

>     Anyone using RoR for a serious real word app? How is
> performance using with a DB like MySql/whatever? What do people use
> for editing/IDE RoR?
> Eclipse? I've played with Eclipse/Ruby, but not really sure I
> understand what is different about Rails.

Our company uses it for a lot of serious real world applications.
Rails needs a lot of server resources to be happy, but it performs
really well when given adequate resources.  We all use TextMate (OS X
Text Editor) as our dev environment, but before that we used Emacs.
If you want something more traditional in way of IDE a lot of people
use RAD Rails.

>     I've played with Ruby and Watir for unit testing some of my
> ASP.Net work; and liked Ruby despite my aversion to interpreted
> languages.

There are two monthly Ruby meetings per month in the Valley.  One in
Scottsdale and one in Mesa.

--
Derek