[PLUG-Devel] Close source Java apps on GPL?

Joseph Sinclair plug-devel at stcaz.net
Tue Nov 14 22:27:42 MST 2006

Simple counter-question (rhetorical):
  Is it a violation of the GPL to run proprietary software on Linux (i.e. Oracle)?

The answer to the above is unequivocally no.  Placing a limit on how an individual uses their software (including as a platform for proprietary software) would violate Freedom 1, and would be contrary to the spirit of the GPL.

Also, keep in mind that Sun is including the "Classpath Exception" for the standard library, precisely to ensure that proprietary software can still run with the Free version of the standard library as well.

==Joseph++