[PLUG-Devel] Close source Java apps on GPL?

der.hans PLUG at LuftHans.com
Tue Nov 14 17:12:32 MST 2006

Am 14. Nov, 2006 schwätzte Alan Dayley so:

> Correct my thinking, if I am wrong.
>
> Given:
> - Sun is releasing Java (ie. the JVM, etc.) source code under the GPL
> license.
> - There are many closed source (non-free) Java applications.
>
> Posit:
> Closed source Java applications cannot run on the GPL'd JVM without
> violating the GPL.

I believe GPL v.2 doesn't adequately cover VMs in order to make a
requirement one way or the other. The GPL doesn't prohibit using the GCC
to compile proprietary programs and then charging money to use them, so
I'd think apps in a VM would also not be covered. GPL v.3 might explicitly
cover this type of situation.

It is likely moot as Sun usually dual-licenses, so those apps would
technically be available via the proprietary license of the JVM.

Then again, what happens if someone has a JVM that is only GPL due to
changes made by the distro and then runs a proprietary Java app?

I would think the application provider would not be guilty of busting the
GPL.

Not certain that the person using it could be guilty of busting the GPL.

What if some 3rd party were providing both the GPL-only version of the JVM
and the proprietary Java app?

ciao,

der.hans
#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators  https://LOPSA.org/
#  Your email is being read by hundreds of uptight agents
#  who never saw the humor in Dr. Strangelove. -- Mark Russell