Announce: Meeting April 1st.

Alan Dayley plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri Mar 26 08:28:02 2004

The next PLUG-Devel meeting is April 1st.  And that's no fool's joke!

What: PLUG-Devel Meeting
When: Thursday, April 1, 2004 at 19:00 (7:00 PM)
Where: Adtron Corporation, 3710 E. University Drive, Suite 4, Phoenix, AZ
Topic: The Ruby Programming Language

Check the PLUG web site at the following link under Development Group
Meeting for instructions on how to get there.

http://plug.phoenix.az.us/modules.php?op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index&myfaq=yes&id_cat=1&categories=General+Plug+Questions&parent_id=0#3

Chris Gehlker will be presenting one of the newer scripting languages on
the scene: Ruby.  This looks like the home page for some pre-reading:
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/ and Chris has supplied the following about
his planned presentation and himself.

About Ruby:

Ruby - the Programmers Best Friend is an object oriented scripting
language that emphasizes clarity, doing the intuitive thing, and above
all fun. While it bears a superficial resemblance to Perl, its semantics
are very much those of smalltalk. This makes it it very suitable for
quick and easy OO. The underlying model is very pure OO but it has many
operators that are semantic sugar for the corresponding methods so
procedural code will generally work, at least for simple things. In my
talk, I want to present some very easy examples of Ruby and then hit the
more unique features such as CLU like closures, blocks, Mix-Ins, and run
time class extension. I will also talk about the Ruby community, Ruby
portability, the Ruby - C interface, Scripting applications with Ruby
and the proposal for a Ruby version of Linux.

About Chris

Chris Gehlker has been messing about with computers so long he can
recall building LP models in Fortran. He is an enthusiastic Ruby user.
He is the author of RubyStudio, a Ruby IDE for Mac OS X. His current
Ruby interests include, a game written in Ruby called SCO: The Game of
Intellectual Property and Ruby AL, an extension of Ruby for scripting
Open and MS Office.